Noryo Yuka
What's "Noryo Yuka"?

   Noryo yuka is a terrace to enjoy dinner in the cool breezes of the evening. Their wooden floors, connected with restaurants, are built over the Kamo River from Nijo-dori St. to Gojo-dori St. in summer (from May 1 to September 30). The custom goes back to the Edo period (1603-1867).

   Formerly, Most of the restaurants in Kyoto specialized in the country dishes. However, recently, they have diversified and internationalized; Chinese, Thai and Korean cooking. Now, a lot of first-class restaurants are open, and there are restaurants that we can enter in light-heartedly, too. Incidentally, please take notice Noryo Yuka not open in the daytime except May and September.
Noryo Yuka
Area map for transpotation and public access
Access map Kamikiyamachi area Pontocho area Nisiishigaki area & Shimokiyamachi areas
Introducing some restaurants

History of Noryo Yuka
   The riverside of the Kamo River had been an entertainment area for people of Kyoto since Nanboku-cho period (1336-1392). Enjoying the cool breezes of the evening flourished, especially in summer, and many performances were held in the riverbed of the Kamo River where the folding benches called "Shogi" were set up from Sanjo-dori St. to Matsubara-dori St. In the 27th year of Meiji period (1894), the wooden terraces, which some east riverside restaurants had owned, were pulled down due to completing the works of a canal. And Noryo Yuka was quite abolished for some time due to opening a municipal streetcar because the Sijo-ohashi Bridge was rebuilt across the Kamo River in the last Meiji period.